Fruit Cube Mocktails

29 Jul

Fruit Cube Mocktails Header

This time of year I usually have a hankering for something cool and refreshing in my glass. If you’re like us, by mid-summer you are waist-deep in backyard BBQs, trips to the lake, beach bathing and heat-wave hiking. Nothing is better than a cool beverage in hand when summer turns up the heat.

This year I figured “why not make it fun?” with some HEART and STAR shaped ice cubes. Afterall, I’m always looking for ways to engage Audrey in food preparation. Then I thought “why not make it funner?” with FRUIT ice cubes?

Fruit Ingredients

We started with two toddler arms full of fresh fruit. We chose peaches, raspberries, blueberries, mango and strawberries, mainly because we liked the color combo. Try whatever fruity combination you want. You can’t go wrong!

I minced each fruit into a puree and scooped them into the trays.

Filled ice trays

Then stuck them in the freezer for about an hour, until they were hard.

Finished fruit cubes

Popped them out and…Voila!! A cluster of colorful fruit ice cubes in fun shapes!

Fruit Ice Cubes

They’re kind of nice on their own, aren’t they?

I had some girlfriends coming over for a party, so I added them to a mocktail. This recipe is really just a random combination that I ended up loving. Nothing fancy, just plain and simple.

Mocktail Recipe:

1 part limeade

1 part pineapple juice

1 part orange juice

3 parts lemon-lime soda (I used Squirt)

Add as many fruit cubes as you like. As the fruit slowly melts, it creates a smoothie!

Garnish with muddled fresh mint leaves

Fruit Cube Mocktails

Don’t forget to add a cute straw and citrus slices, because well, they make every summer beverage look better, right?

Love,

Aiko & Aiko

About these ads

34 Responses to “Fruit Cube Mocktails”

1. Anjana @ At The Corner Of Happy & Harried July 29, 2013 at 7:44 am #

Such a cute idea to make fruit cubes!

2. Linzi Scarsella July 29, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Very cute and creative, the drinks look super refreshing! Your blog is so fun and colorful. I’m so glad I found it!

3. ellie ryan July 29, 2013 at 10:47 am #

adorable and delicious! i love any food-craft involving fruit (:

• sweetpie1013 July 31, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

hahahha yes! they’re soo cute! too cute to eat.

4. toopretty12 July 29, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Reblogged this on The Pretty Canary.

5. easycraftsforchildren July 29, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

Great idea, lovely !!

6. The DIY Show July 29, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Jaclyn, these look sooo refreshingly delicious. I adore all of your projects and would love for you to join me at The DIY Show Link-up Party. Hope to see you soon!! Happy Crafting!!

7. tamyraptor July 29, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Your blog and your projects are beautiful! Do you have any tips on how you lay out your amazing photos for an aspiring blogger? I love the outlines and the text, it looks as though you have been doing this for years!

• Los Dos Aiko's August 1, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

Hi Tamara!
      Thanks so much for the incredible compliment! I really like your blog too. It’s so nice to meet other creative bloggers. :) I really don’t have any specific tips – I usually take a lot of my photos outside in diffused light, then I edit the raw file to create the jpeg, and add the text and graphics in Photoshop. I use Photoshop A LOT. Have fun with fonts! There are so many out there, dafont.com and 1001freefonts.com have good ones. Good luck!
      xo Jaclyn

• tamyraptor August 1, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Thanks so much! It’s so kind of you to share your tips :) I might have to invest in photoshop I think! Can’t wait to see your next post xox

8. jayme marie July 29, 2013 at 11:50 pm #

Hi, Jaclyn! Your fruit cubes turned out great! Where did you find your ice cube trays? Those are super fun!

• Los Dos Aiko's August 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Hi Jayme!
      Believe it or not, I got the ice cube trays at…For Love 21! (yah, the accessories shop) :) I was in their with my daughter and thought they were too cute to pass up!

9. jennliew July 30, 2013 at 4:01 am #

so cute >_<

10. Scarlett July 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Came over from Shady Porch. These ice cubes are great and what a good way to sneak in some fruit!

11. D@TheShadyPorch July 31, 2013 at 9:12 am #

Great way to get the kids involved and it does dress up the beverages! I think it would be a fun idea to pour some Jello in the molds and make little fruity snacks too! Thanks for sharing, D@TheShadyPorch

12. noepapercraft July 31, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Amazing ! It’s a great idea. I’m gonna try this !

13. Sarah July 31, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

These ice cubes are adorable!

14. LTC@Noor July 31, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Amazing recipe for scorching summer, I am surely going to feature your recipe on my website today, you are doing a great job Jaclyn keep posting :)

15. Who'd Have Thought? July 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

These look delicious – even though it’s winter here in Australia wouldn’t mind making these! Jane

16. theinventionofliving August 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Hooray! You have received the Versatile Blogger Award Nomination! The Invention of Living has been snooping through your blog and we love what we see! Please check out your nomination on our blog @ TheInventionOfLiving along with the guidelines on what comes next! :) Congratulations!

• Los Dos Aiko's August 3, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

Wow! Thank you so much, that’s awesome! I will definitely check out your blog.
      -Jaclyn

17. Dacia Olayan Alba August 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

These are so adorable & sound so yummy! Visiting from TT&J. :)

18. committedgifts August 3, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Great idea! I can’t get enough of these silicone molds–so many fun uses. :)

19. dontbuyitdiyit August 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

My mouth is watering right now ! These look so nice and refreshing. Thanks for sharing :)
    Also thank you for checking out my blog ! :) x

20. amandab2 August 5, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Love this fun idea! Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Be sure and grab a featured button when you link up this week.

• Los Dos Aiko's August 5, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

Thank you Amanda! We’re flattered to make an appearance on your blog. Grabbed your feature button. :)

21. craftycoup August 7, 2013 at 5:40 am #

Do you have a name for your mocktail? Also, ya gotta come up with a recipe for its adult cocktail version! Cheers in advance!

22. blawish August 27, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Cutest ice cubes ever!

23. Mandy -- Mommymentum August 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

I’ve got some alphabet molds I’m gonna try! Great idea.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Fruit Cube Mocktails – by Los Dos Aiko’s | Let's Try Creating...! - August 1, 2013

[…] mock tail recipe which should be fun to make and would quench your thirst for sure , check out this Fruit Cube Mock-tail recipe by  Los Dos […]

2. I Made It! Monday - Fun and Easy Craft Ideas | Ninth Street Notions - August 5, 2013

[…] drinks are so pretty! And you’ll love how easy it is to make shaped fruit cubes from Los Dos […]

3. garden-to-glass: homemade herbal tea + fruit ice cubes | holly & flora - September 1, 2013

[…] Another great touch to add to an iced tea of any sort is fruit-composed ice cubes.  I chose to make some ice cubes, freezing a piece of fruit within each cube.  I will have to try the lovely example I saw at Los Dos Aikos, where the blog’s author, Jaclyn, and her daughter puréed fruit and froze it in heart- and star-shaped molds.  It turned out adorably!  Read more about their how-to, here. […]

4. Los Dos Aiko’s 1st Anniversary; Year in Review | Los Dos Aiko's - January 4, 2014

[…] In July the weather was really heating up. We went on a ton of hikes and went back to the beach for a vacation. We went to Crater Lake and many outdoor BBQs. I made Fruit Cube Mocktails. […]

5. Host the Perfect Brunch. | The Bitter Lemon - June 4, 2014